Best Poker Sites Canada
$500 + 200 Free Spins
$1000 + 100 Free Spins
80 Free Spins
Top Online Poker Sites Canada
There are hundreds of great poker online casino sites. The table below shows 5 we consider to be among the best.
|Casino||Poker Games on Offer|
|888Poker||Omaha Hi, Texas Hold’em, Omaha Hi-Lo, Progressive Knockout (PKO)|
|GGPoker||Standard game options plus exclusives like AoF Sit & Go, All-in or Fold, Battle Royale, Spin & Gold, Rush & Cash, Spin & Go Renewal|
|partypoker||No Limit Hold’em, Pot Limit Omaha, Fast-forward, Spins Poker, plus many more.|
|PokerStars||Texas Hold’em, Omaha, DIY Home Games, plus classic casino table games like Baccarat, Blackjack, & Roulette|
|Unibet||Pai Gow, Four Card, Let it Ride. Mississippi Stud, Ultimate Texas Hold’em, and more|
The Way We Rate Poker Sites
Online poker is one of the most sought-after card games in Canada. Canada has some of the world’s best game players. One is Daniel Negreanu, who has won more than $43.2 million and has represented top online poker sites. We review poker sites online for our loyal readers. All the online poker sites we promote have been checked by our dedicated team of experts.
We Review Player Safety
Before we list an online poker site, we ensure 100% safe. This is what we look for:
- Who licenses an online poker Canada casino?
- What type of encryption does the website have?
- Do they only work with tried and trusted banking methods?
The Game Choice of Each Online Poker Site
You will probably already know that there are many different online poker games in which you can develop your playing skills. So, when we review a new platform, we look for sites that offer a wide range of game choices.
The most popular variants include Caribbean Stud, Casino Hold’em, Jacks or Better, Live 3-Card, Omaha, 7-Stud Card, and of course, Texas Hold’em.
There are many more poker games online. You’ll find most listed on our website.
Online casinos usually offer lucrative bonuses to attract new players. The most usual type of bonus is the sign-up or welcome. You may also come across the deposit, no deposit, first deposit, and matched and reload bonuses.
The banking methods available when you play poker casino online games play an important role when it comes to player safety and security. We, therefore, ensure that the sites we recommend only use respected methods such as Bank Transfer, Interac, Mastercard, Paysafecard, Skrill and Visa.
Laws for Playing Poker Online in Canada
At present, Ontario is the only province where you can legally play online poker Canada, as of the 4th of April 2022.
Following this recent change of law in Ontario, a number of major online gambling operators have obtained Ontario gambling licenses from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), and several more are expected to join their ranks.
However, in order to retain their Ontario licenses, operators have to cease providing online poker services to players in other Canadian provinces. But the fact that you can play poker online in Ontario completely legally will be welcome news to residents and visitors.
The situation with online poker sites based outside Canada is grey. Online casinos outside Canada were not mentioned in Section 201 of the criminal code. Therefore, people deem it okay to play poker online on these sites.
While that might be true, it is our understanding that no Canadian has ever been prosecuted for playing poker on a site outside Canada.
The Most Popular Online Poker Variations
There are dozens of different variants of online casino poker. Here is some information about 4 of the most popular variants and how they differ.
Texas Hold’em gameplay has 4 rounds – pre-flop, flop, turn and river. Each player receives two ‘hole’ cards to begin. A winning hand comes by formulating the best 5-card hand. Do this with your “hole” cards and the 5 community cards. Bluff is, of course, part of any online poker game strategy.
This variant begins with 2 “hole” cards being dealt face down to each player, plus one face-up “door” card. There then follows more rounds, called 4th, 5th, and 6th Street, ending with River. The 4th, 5th and 6th cards get dealt face up, and the “River” card face down. Betting takes place after each round.
This is considered online casino poker at its most basic. 5 cards are delivered face down to each player. Betting commences. If more than one player is left in, players request however many cards they wish and use them to replace the cards they discard. Another round of betting takes place. Players then show their hands, and the best hand wins.
To begin, 2 players are nominated – one as the small blind, the other as the large blind. Each puts a predetermined amount of money into the pot.
Players are dealt 4 “pocket” cards and must use 2 of them in conjunction with 3 community cards to construct a 5-card hand. You construct a High Hand using any 2 of the 4 blind cards and 3 of the 5 community cards. The same goes for Low Hand.
After the 4 blinds are dealt with, there is a round of betting. In the next phase, the dealer deals 3 community cards face up (the flop). Another round of wagering takes place, and the process is repeated until there are 5 community cards on show. Then comes the showdown, where the winner takes the pot.
Here are a few tips to help you improve your online poker prowess.
Getting into the Winning Habit
When beginning your journey to becoming a respected online poker player, don’t avoid the low stake games – play them. This is not to minimise your losses – though it should, of course. It is to give you the opportunity to learn how to beat less able players and develop your strategy before you try to take on those with more expertise.
Minimize Prepot Limping and Step in With a Raise
At the start of play, don’t just call the blind preflop – enter the pot preflop phase with a raise. Top players tend to go for players who frequently limp prepot as they see them as potentially easy targets.
Don’t Be Afraid to Re-Raise Preflop
The reason for re-raising before the flop is straightforward – it gives you more chances of winning. You might take it down preflop, you get the chance to make the best hand after the flop, or you can often drive opponents out of casino poker online games by being more aggressive.
Avoid Calling 3-Bets Out of Position
3-Bets are another name for re-raising before the flop. “Out of position” is when you have to take the first action on the three Post flop streets – Flop, Turn, and river. If you call in this situation it will put you at a significant disadvantage. This is one of your prime rules of online poker. The position is all. Calling 3-bets out of position is a no-no.
Give the Preflop 4-Bet Due Respect
A 4-bet is after a raise, a second raise and another. Unless they’re mad, players will only call a 4-Bet when they have a really strong hand – this is especially true when playing low-stakes games.
Best Poker Sites Deposit Options
Any site that welcomes players from Canada should accept and payout out in CAD. Before you can deposit money, you will have to register a player account. However, some online poker sites allow you to play for free without having to register.
As soon as the money is credited to your player account, begin to play for real money and enjoy. Popular payment methods include:
Online Poker Withdrawals
The best sites provide a variety of trusted withdrawal banking methods. Some of the most popular with their associated withdrawal time include:
|Method||Withdrawal Time||Transaction Fee|
|Bank Transfer||2 to 4 days||None|
|iDebit||Up to 24 hours||C$1.50|
|InstaDebit||Up to 24 hours||C$1.95|
|PayPal||Up to 24 hours||None|
Pay by Phone
Poker Online Tournaments
If you’re looking for the best games, try some of the many tournaments going around. They include:
- MTTs – Multi Table Tournaments – Starting off with loads of players and lots of tables, eventually being whittled down to one final table comprising the best players left in the tournament.
- SNG – Sit and Go Tournaments – Comprising a set number of players, typically 2 – 120. When all seats are filled, the tournament begins. All players must pay a tournament fee to qualify. Once the buy-in has been collected, the competition gets fierce.
- Rebuys and Add-Ons – Offered by 888Poker. When you’re down on your luck, click the “buy chips” button. You have 60 seconds to confirm and get back in the fun.
These tournaments include a wide variety of games, including No-Limit Hold’em, Pot-Limit Omaha, Seven-Card Stud and more. You can also find free and rookie tournaments.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is It Legal To Play Online Poker In Canada?
- If you live in a Province with legalized gambling, you can play 100% legally on any of the web-based sites that Province operates. You can also play at any offshore platform.
- What Is The Legal Age For Playing Poker In Canada?
- In Alberta, Manitoba, and Quebec, the legal gambling age is 18. In all other Provinces, it is 19.
- Are Online Poker Winnings Taxable in Canada?
- If you are a “hobby” player, your winnings are not taxable. If playing poker online is your profession, your winnings will be subject to tax, but you might be able to offset any costs providing they are properly documented.
- Do Online Poker Sites Offer Bonuses?
- Most online poker sites offer bonuses. 888Poker runs a no deposit $20 bonus and 100% bonus up to $1,000. GGPoker offers a deposit $20 and get $50 free play bonus, matched to $600. There are many more bonuses.
- Should I Download Any Poker Software?
- When online poker first appeared, it used downloadable software. The latest flash technology means you can play directly via your browser. However, many players prefer to use downloadable software because of the richness of analytic tools and features. It can be a great way of increasing your poker prowess.
- Can I Play Online Casino Poker Online On My Mobile Device?
- Most sites are optimized to allow access via mobile devices, including iPads, iPhones, Smartphones and Tablets.